The second sermon in our “Rediscovering Communion in the Lord’s Supper” series. David Mathews interviews a special guest on September 5, 2010 who gives testimony to how returning to the Lord’s Supper was the point where he turned from a life of alcoholism to a new life with Christ. The congregation then took the bread and the cup at the same time while gathered around those who requested special prayers.
The Makonde Team shared with us their vision and strategy for the Kingdom work they’ve been called to. This information is presented in 2 parts by various members of the team. To learn more about the Makonde Team, visit their website at MakondeTeam.com or their team blog at makondeteam.wordpress.com.
1. What is the most significant lesson for you concerning the video we watched today, ‘The Extra Mile’?
2. Read Luke 1:26-38. Discuss Mary’s situation as she learned about the coming birth of Jesus. What might have been some of her feelings, emotions (fear?, etc.), and thoughts as Gabriel gave her the news?
3. Read Luke 1:39-45. What is significant about Mary’s visit with her relative Elizabeth? Discuss Elizabeth’s blessing of Mary.
4. Mary’s song is recorded in Luke 1:46-55. What themes do you find in Mary’s song?
5. Discuss Mary’s faith in the ‘impossible’ (having God’s son) becoming possible. What or who do you think contributed to this faith? Discuss the role of Joseph in this story (Matthew 1:18-25; 2:13-23).
6. Share with your group an ‘impossible’ time in your life that turned into ‘possible’. What were the contributing factors that helped change the ‘impossible’ to the ‘possible’?