Downtown Church sermon from August 8, 2010 by David Mathews. This sermon is part of our series, A Cloud of Witnesses–Pointing Us to Jesus!
Small Group Questions
1. What is the most significant lesson for you concerning the video we watched today, ‘The Extra Mile’?
2. Read Luke 1:26-38. Discuss Mary’s situation as she learned about the coming birth of Jesus. What might have been some of her feelings, emotions (fear?, etc.), and thoughts as Gabriel gave her the news?
3. Read Luke 1:39-45. What is significant about Mary’s visit with her relative Elizabeth? Discuss Elizabeth’s blessing of Mary.
4. Mary’s song is recorded in Luke 1:46-55. What themes do you find in Mary’s song?
5. Discuss Mary’s faith in the ‘impossible’ (having God’s son) becoming possible. What or who do you think contributed to this faith? Discuss the role of Joseph in this story (Matthew 1:18-25; 2:13-23).
6. Share with your group an ‘impossible’ time in your life that turned into ‘possible’. What were the contributing factors that helped change the ‘impossible’ to the ‘possible’?