Downtown Church sermon from January 24, 2010 by Jeremy Shelby and Todd Miller. This was our annual family dedication service recognizing the family and church responsibilities to raise children that know the Lord.
So Now What? by Jeremy Shelby
GPS: God’s Plan for Spiritual Formation by Todd Miller
Small Group Questions
As you begin your Small Group this week … “What if … ?”
1. … you had to choose only 5 books you could read?
2. … you were trapped in an earthquake damaged building?
3. … Jesus said to you, “What do you want me to do for you?”
1. LEARN TOGETHER: Deuteronomy 6:4-9
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with
all your soul and with all your strength.
These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
2. Thinking of this morning’s “Family Dedication” service: What commitment(s) as a parent did you make, or have you made, to your children? In what way(s) does it encourage you to know that as a Downtown Church family there
are those that are committed to support you as you parent your children?
3. READ: 1 Samuel 1:27-28. In what ways is it possible to “give” your child(ren) to the Lord”? Is this an easy thing to do or hard thing to do? In what way(s)?
4. In what ways will “MILESTONES”, i.e. building a legacy of faith, allow each of us to intentionally fulfill the Deuteronomy 6 passage in our families and in our personal life?
5. CLOSE by continuing to work together on memorizing Deuteronomy 6:4-9.