Downtown Church service from October 18, 2009. Laments were shared by David Mathews, Ross Kellis, and Gary Stephenson.
This is part of our ongoing series called God’s Relentless Pursuit – A Study of the Minor Prophets.
Small Group Questions
Pendulum Swings: Pendulum swings, better known as icebreakers or getting started questions, are just a fun way to kickoff your small group time together by going from the not so serious to deeper connecting times.
The 3 questions of the week as you begin your Small Group …
- Name your favorite … musician you listen to, but hate to admit it.
- Name your favorite … church that you have visited, and why?
- Name your favorite … biblical promise.
- Re-READ: Habakkuk 3:17-19 noted in this morning’s lesson.
- Luke 13:31-35
-Read this passage of Jesus’ lament over Jerusalem
-Discuss the emotions of Jesus as he heads toward Jerusalem.
- Luke 27: 45-46 / Psalm 22
-Jesus has another lament as he cries out to his father while on the cross, quoting from Psalm 22
-Discuss possible reasons He is feeling forsaken by his father.
-Was He forsaken, and if so, how?
- If you feel comfortable doing so, share with your small group the lament that you wrote down this morning.
- Discuss some of the benefits from expressing our laments to God.